Re: What are you guys running on your PowerBook G4's Debian PPC?

You can do a dual boot with FreeBSD and set up minimalist environments on both.
Run the Debian installation at 1000 hertz and the FreeBSD installation at 2000 hertz with both using blackbox, enlightenment, and lxde or xfce as the possible graphical environments.
Firefox is a heavy browser. try running surf; or, if possible, find a source for xombrero and run that.

The system is going to run more smooth if the same assembly language calls to the CPU registers are constant.
Minimalist and simple works wonders on the Power architecture.