Re: What are you guys running on your PowerBook G4's Debian PPC?

Hi,

On 03/08/17 22:53, PhiLLip Pi wrote:
Server? Workstation? Old school text stuff? Just curious. I am trying to
see what I can use my slow PowerBook G4 with 512 MB of RAM to do.

I have an iBook G3 clamshell running Debian. I bought for it an AirPort, new Battery and SSD drive instead of the old super-small hard disk. The G3 has always been fantastsic in power consumption, but together with the SSD it gives a totally "solid state" comptuer, no fan at all, no noise and long battery life.

I have Firefox and Emacs on it. However ram is tight and the screen is small, so while it works it is just for quick checks on the web, not big browsing. I use it to compile & test all GNUstep software, I have most command-line development tools for it, SO I run almost everything on it

For battery status, batmon (yes, it extra supports the iBook battery status: happens that I added it). It would be nice to know if your G4 battery is displayed properly too.

Trusty WindowMaker as wm and GWorkspace (I happen to be the current upstream maintainer) as File Manager.

For Terminal emulation Terminal.app (GAP version), For Email: GNUMail, For IRC: TalkSoup, For FTP: FTP.app from GAP and for PS/PDF viewing the GNUstep ghostscript front-end GSPdf.

For Image viewing, I use LaternaMagica (of course, I am the author) and given the battery life and silent operation, it is a nice thing to make a slide show.! For some image work, PRICE (again, being the author...) although it is of course no full-blown GIMP or such.
Currently I was testing Graphos on it.

I can visualize custom Data using the OresmeKit, but that is yet unreleased. Remembers me I need to finish & work on it.

Mostly it is for testing I take care that my stuff works on big endian machines and PPC, I do also test on SPARC.

Several of the programs mentioned [1][2] have a debian package (not always latest though) but a couple of them are lacking, sadly as there is no DD for it.

Riccardo

---
[1] http://gap.nongnu.org/