Re: Xorg fails on ATI after update (mmio aperture)

On 06/03/17 07:04 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> don't fight over kernel modules :) le'ts just get the thing working again.

Right, that's always my intent. :)

>> Anyway, I looked at Riccardo's original post again and noticed that his
>> xorg.conf has options disabling all hardware acceleration of
>> xserver-xorg-video-mach64 anyway. In that case there's no benefit in
>> using that vs xserver-xorg-video-fbdev.
>
> Not all acceleration, but most of it - that is the best I could get
> about a year ago withotu having very strange display issues.
> I remember this was quite a still  bette than "accel off" or fbdev which
> is quite horribly slow.

AFAICT Option "Noaccel" completely disables hardware acceleration.
Together with Option "shadow_fb", it should operate more or less the
same way the fbdev driver does. If you're still seeing a difference in
performance between the two drivers, having a more detailed description
of the difference and seeing the full Xorg log files corresponding to
both cases would be interesting.