Re: Newbie trying to install Debian PPC into an old 15" PowerBook G4...

On 03/06/2017 08:37 AM, PhiLLip Pi wrote:
>> OK, I went back to Debian's net-installer. I installed into the ext4
>> partition that was made by Ubuntu's installer. Everything went good from
>> here. I was able to boot up Debian (froze at its text login screen
>> though) and Mac OS X. Now, I need to install X and all that GUI stuff.
>> ;)
>
> Hmm, I must be blind. I can't seem to find any X11, XFree86, Xwhatever,
> etc. packages for GUI stuff. Also, is this net installer really limited
> compared to regular Debian installer for 64-bit non-Mac PCs? Am I
> expecting too much from an old PowerBook G4? :(

As I remember, there is software components selection during Debian net
install. I recomend you select lxde desktop during installation.

If you are installed system without X and now you need it, do:
apt-get install task-lxde-desktop    ( for complete desktop environment )
or
apt-get install lxde  ( for less complete )

lxde is best for slow machines.