Re: Newbie trying to install Debian PPC into an old 15" PowerBook G4...

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 09:48:59PM -0800, PhiLLip Pi wrote:

> > > HDD is still OK. I did try to tell Ubuntu's liveCD's installer to resize
> > > the HFS+ partition, but it kept making 0 MB partitions. Argh. It never
> > > resizes! So weird.
> >
> > I rebooted to Ubuntu's live CD, ran its installer, and tried to resize
> > HFS+ but somehow it wiped out my HFS+ (resized). Huh? Oh well. I give
> > up. I am doing an Ubuntu install of the whole drive. I wonder how slow
> > it will be after it is done. :(
>
> So, I tried it briefly. It ran OK. So, I tried reinstalling Mac OS X
> v10.2.1+10.2.8 update and its classic from scratch into the same HDD,
> but split the partitions in half with its Disk Utility on the original
> install DVD. I tried to use Lubuntu, but it kept crashing due to ATI
> Radeon video card? I posted that issue in my
> https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2354615 forum thread. I gave
> up on this for now.
>
> So, I went back to Ubuntu. Finally, it went farther but it crashed at
> the end for the restart. I don't think it ever did its Grub thing since
> PowerBook G4 still boots up into Mac OS X. Argh.
>
> Hmm, maybe time to go back to Debian net-installer? :P

OK, I went back to Debian's net-installer. I installed into the ext4
partition that was made by Ubuntu's installer. Everything went good from
here. I was able to boot up Debian (froze at its text login screen
though) and Mac OS X. Now, I need to install X and all that GUI stuff.
;)
--
Quote of the Week: "The great companies did not know that the line
between hunger and anger is a thin line. And money that might have gone
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net/ant@zimage.com
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.