Re: Newbie trying to install Debian PPC into an old 15" PowerBook G4...

On Sat, Mar 04, 2017 at 08:28:21AM -0800, PhiLLip Pi wrote:

> > > Nope, it failed pretty fast but I didn't have free time to research,
> > > screen capture, upload, etc. for you guys due to a family emergency
> > > (nothing serious). Now, I have time for now! GParted's details showed:
> > >
> > > GParted 0.11.0 --enable-libparted-dmraid
> > >
> > > Libparted 2.3
> > >
> > > Shrink /dev/sda5 from 55.89 GiB to 36.11 GiB  00:15:57    ( ERROR )
> > >
> > >      calibrate /dev/sda5  00:00:04    ( SUCCESS )
> > >
> > >           path: /dev/sda5
> > >           start: 704
> > >           end: 117,209,529
> > >           size: 117,208,826 (55.89 GiB)
> > >
> > >      check file system on /dev/sda5 for errors and (if possible) fix
> > > them    ( N/A )
> > >
> > >           checking is not available for this file system
> > >
> > >      shrink file system  00:15:44    ( ERROR )
> > >
> > >           using libparted
> > >
> > >      libparted messages    ( INFO )
> > >
> > >           Input/output error during read on /dev/sda
> > >
> > >           An error occurred during extent relocation.
> > >
> > >           Data relocation has failed.
> > >
> > >           Resizing the HFS+ volume has failed.
> > >
> > > ========================================
> > >
> > > Create Primary Partition #1 (unformatted, 19.78 GiB) on /dev/sda
> > >

> > > I also managed to get a screen capture to share of the whole desktop
> > > screen: https://i.imgur.com/vD5a7L7.png ... I hope those help? As you
> > > can see, it failed in step 0! :( Maybe I am doing it wrong?
> > >
> > > Maybe I should try installing Ubuntu instead of Debian from this
> > > bootable CD to see if it lets me resize and install if it comes with a
> > > fancy GUI installer?
> > >
> > > Uh oh. I wonder if my HDD got hosed during this attempt. Scary! :/
> >
> > HDD is still OK. I did try to tell Ubuntu's liveCD's installer to resize
> > the HFS+ partition, but it kept making 0 MB partitions. Argh. It never
> > resizes! So weird.
>
> I rebooted to Ubuntu's live CD, ran its installer, and tried to resize
> HFS+ but somehow it wiped out my HFS+ (resized). Huh? Oh well. I give
> up. I am doing an Ubuntu install of the whole drive. I wonder how slow
> it will be after it is done. :(

So, I tried it briefly. It ran OK. So, I tried reinstalling Mac OS X
v10.2.1+10.2.8 update and its classic from scratch into the same HDD,
but split the partitions in half with its Disk Utility on the original
install DVD. I tried to use Lubuntu, but it kept crashing due to ATI
Radeon video card? I posted that issue in my
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2354615 forum thread. I gave
up on this for now.

So, I went back to Ubuntu. Finally, it went farther but it crashed at
the end for the restart. I don't think it ever did its Grub thing since
PowerBook G4 still boots up into Mac OS X. Argh.

Hmm, maybe time to go back to Debian net-installer? :P
--
Quote of the Week: "The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
  /\___/\    Phil./Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net/ant@zimage.com
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.