Re: Fwd: Re: Newbie trying to install Debian PPC into an old 15" PowerBook G4...

On Fri, Mar 03, 2017 at 11:07:23AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > I downloaded, burned, and booted
> > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/precise/release/ubuntu-12.04-desktop-powerpc.iso
> > since I didn't have a blank DVD to use for the bigger and newer
> > http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/trusty/release/lubuntu-14.04.5-desktop-powerpc.iso
> > file. Maybe that's a good thing because v12.04 was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
> > slow as to be expected. :(
> >
> > Anyways, it took me a while to navigate since I don't use Ubuntu. I
> > managed to find Terminal with its Unity's hotkeys (ctrl+alt+T). I ran
> > "sudo gparted" command. I resized the free drive space in half. Now, we
> > wait...
>
> I hope it works.

Nope, it failed pretty fast but I didn't have free time to research,
screen capture, upload, etc. for you guys due to a family emergency
(nothing serious). Now, I have time for now! GParted's details showed:

GParted 0.11.0 --enable-libparted-dmraid

Libparted 2.3

Shrink /dev/sda5 from 55.89 GiB to 36.11 GiB  00:15:57    ( ERROR )

     calibrate /dev/sda5  00:00:04    ( SUCCESS )

          path: /dev/sda5
          start: 704
          end: 117,209,529
          size: 117,208,826 (55.89 GiB)

     check file system on /dev/sda5 for errors and (if possible) fix
them    ( N/A )

          checking is not available for this file system

     shrink file system  00:15:44    ( ERROR )

          using libparted

     libparted messages    ( INFO )

          Input/output error during read on /dev/sda

          An error occurred during extent relocation.

          Data relocation has failed.

          Resizing the HFS+ volume has failed.

Create Primary Partition #1 (unformatted, 19.78 GiB) on /dev/sda

I also managed to get a screen capture to share of the whole desktop
screen: https://i.imgur.com/vD5a7L7.png ... I hope those help? As you
can see, it failed in step 0! :( Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Maybe I should try installing Ubuntu instead of Debian from this
bootable CD to see if it lets me resize and install if it comes with a
fancy GUI installer?

Uh oh. I wonder if my HDD got hosed during this attempt. Scary! :/
--
Quote of the Week: "The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
  /\___/\    Phil./Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net/ant@zimage.com
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.