Re: Newbie trying to install Debian PPC into an old 15" PowerBook G4...

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 06:17:36PM +0100, Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:

>      On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, PhiLLip Pi wrote:
>
>          I suspect the safe and simple option is to use mac os to shrink the
>          current HFS partition first.
>
>        In the installed v10.2.8's Disk Utility app, it wouldn't let me. In
>        its
>        bootable DVD's v10.2.1's Disk Utility, it said it would have to erase
>        my
>        volumes (delete everything)? Is that how it is supposed to happen?
>
>      No. But if I'm correct, only the Disk Utility in OSX 10.5 and newer
>      supports true volume resize, without erasing the contents. (Fix me?)
>
>      10.5.8 was the last version for PowerPC. But sadly it might not work on
>      really old PowerBooks. :/ So if you can do this or not might depend on
>      your machine's type, sadly.
>
>      Charlie
>
>    If 10.5.8 is not possible, you could always use a newer mac, plug the
>    powerbook on it via firewire, boot it as a target volume
>    (see [2]https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462) and resize the disk
>    using a newer Disk Utility.
>    Alternatively, linux’s parted utility can resize hfs+ filesystems if they
>    are not journaled. You can use an old ubuntu ppc live cd to do this.
>    That’s what i did when I install linux on ppc first. See
>    : [3]https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2211127

Good ideas. I will try that. I don't have a firewire cable. I do have
access 2008 and 2012 MacBook Pros. I will try the a Linux PPC LiveDisc.
--
Quote of the Week: "The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown
  /\___/\    Phil./Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o   o| |                 E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net/ant@zimage.com
   \ _ /              If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
    ( )                                              and AQFL URL/link.