Re: Debian 8 on Late 2005 G5, Graphics Issues

On Feb 6, 2016, at 1:06 PM, Richard Kuenz <csae2608@uibk.ac.at> wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> some day ago i tried to install Stretch PPC using Installer-Alpha 4 - but it always finished off when tryxing to install Software Packages. Why is that so?
> Do i need to use always the latest installers (in this case Alpha-5 i guess)?
> Jessie installed fine , though.
> I bought also a Radeon x800 xt as replacement for NVidia 5200 FX , so i am wondering how this will change my Linux experience on G5 Powermac to the better.
>

> Thanks
>
> Rich
>
> Rick Thomas wrote:
>> Stretch.
>> In the sources.list, I have jessie, jessie/updates, jessie-updates, jessie-backports, and stretch repositories; all with main, non-free, and contrib activated.
>> HTH!
>> Rick

Hi Rich,

I haven't tried installing Stretch directly on my G5.  I got where I am by installing Jessie and upgrading to Stretch and adding Peter's kernel that fixes the NVidea video driver problems.

I don't know if the Radeon card will help you.  I haven't tried it.  Maybe there's someone else on the list who has?

Enjoy!
Rick