Re: nouveau modeset no longer works with kernel 4.0 on Power Mac G4

Hi,
I have posted a message on the debian powerpc mailing list recently regarding the nouveau issues along with creating a bug report for the nouveau developers to look into. Within the freedesktop nouveau bug report, a nouveau dev explains why it is failing to work in more recent kernels.

Post below, link within for nouveau bug report.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2015/07/msg00026.html

As a workaround, i have been able to get it up and running by using an equivalent x86 vga bios for the exact card that you have (in my case i have a Quadro FX4500). Not ideal, but gets you running till the bug gets fixed.

Simply download the equivalent x86 vga bios for your particular card, save file within /lib/firmware.
In my case i saved the x86 vga bios as quadro_fx4500.fw .
pass the following option to the nouveau module (change the to the filename as saved within /lib/firmware).

options nouveau config="NvBIOS=quadro_fx4500.fw"

I have used this workaround on vanilla 4.1.2 kernel, it seemed to work for me on my pmac g5 quad with quadro fx4500 gpu.

As mentioned, not a fix, but a workaround...

Regards,
Peter