Re: alsaconf does it but reboot kills it

first of all thank you so much!

taking into mind what some of you imformed me of
looked through the difference between
re-alsaconf-ed sound making stable and unstable
i though i saw snd-powermac in the /etc/modules of stable
(maybe just got confused with other file such as /etc/modprobe.d/sound)
and simply added that to /etc/modules of unstable
and hoooray! unstable's mpg321 and alsamixer is working okay
after rebooting into stable
found that disappearing from stable's /etc/modules
so did the same and now doth debians are making sound even after re-booting

when things were weird after re-booting
i saw things like
"setting up ALSA ... warning : 'alsa-ctl restore' failed with error message
'alsactl : load_state:1329: No sound cards found"
both on shutdownings and bootings
now i don"t
but i see
"ondemand governor failed to load due to too long transition latency"
only on unstable ... wonder what this is ..

some wonderings still remains

in both debians' /etc/modprobe.d/sound has:

alias snd-card-0 snd-powermac
options snd-powermac index=0

is this saying that the snd-card-0 is the true thing i have on my machine?
but when alsaconf-ing i saw it saying that snd-powermac was found
then
as someone says
alsaconf is rather messing up the system from it should have been?
i think the pure install didn't make beeps too
but in my case calling the card snd-powermac is just the long and winding
road?
or is it actually is that old snd-powermac
and what am doing now is the right way to get along with the comimg
kernels?
this is the very early stage of setting up the environment
so if i should simply re-install and do things without alsaconf -- i mean
if that makes things clean" i would ..

i also had "alsa09" in the /etc/libao.conf of stable
but in unstable it was just "alsa"
i removed "09" from stable
but it seems to be okay ... wonder why it was there

--- Johannes Berg <johannes@sipsolutions.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:26 +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
>
> > alsaconf is pretty useless for powermacs. You just have two
> options,
> > either your sound chip is supported by snd-aoa or you are stuck
> with
> > the old dmasound_pmac driver. With a recent udev and kernel snd-aoa
> > should be autoloaded. If not you can try manually loading the
> various
> > snd-aoa-* modules.
> >
> > If your model is not supported by snd-aoa you need to add
> dmasound_pmac
> > to /etc/modules.
>
> Eh, no, dmasound_pmac is ancient and obsolete, you mean snd_powermac
> everywhere you said dmasound_pmac.

2g---
http://micro.ispretty.com

Start Yahoo! Auction now! Check out the cool campaign
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/auction/