Re: Plug and Play for external monitors on latest alubooks?

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:26 +0200, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> I was invited to a Computer club this evening. Most of those coming
> there are using Windows or OSX. I'd like to show them that Linux, when
> it comes to connecting devices to a computer, will do automagically
> many things like Windows or OSX does -- USB Plug'n Play, e.g., *most*
> of the time seems to work relatively well.
>
> But I wonder if there's a tool that let's us connect a second monitor
> or beamer to an alubook5,8 without having to rewrite xorg.conf.
> Impossible, so far - correct?

Not necessarily. If you configure MergedFB, that should get
automatically disabled when no external display is detected. Detection
will only occur on X server startup though.

Full display hotplug is being developed now and will hopefully land in
X.Org 7.2 or 7.3.