APM on new iBook G3 HD

Hi List,

I have an iBook G3 700 Mhz here, running an 2.6.17.6 and a debian sid. Runs fine so far, sleepmode works etc.
Unfortunately I had an HD failure and had to replace the HD. I bought an SAMSUNG MP0804H and replaced it. I have not been able to stop this disk from running so far!

If I try to enable apm via hdparm, it gets me no errors:
# hdparm -k 1 -B 150 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting keep_settings to 1 (on)
 setting Advanced Power Management level to 0x96 (150)
 keepsettings =  1 (on)

It prints no errors, neither on the terminal, nor in any logfile I checked. But still, it doesn't change the setting, the harddisk is running all the time and hdparm shows me, it changed nothing:
# hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

 Model=SAMSUNG MP0804H, FwRev=UE100-19, SerialNo=S042J10L253128
[...]
 AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
[...]

What can I do about it? It is not very healthy for the hd to run all the time, I can hear it scratching if I move the machine.

Thanks for any help,

Johannes