Re: Q: Install of Etch on a RS/6000 B80

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 02:10:11 +0200, Torsten Zirzlaff
<zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de> wrote:

>Hi.
>
>AlexB schrieb:
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:40:06 +0200, Torsten Zirzlaff
>> <zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de> wrote:
>>
>[...]
>>
>> I had same issue when I tried to partition hard disk manually before
>> installation (to have system installed to software RAID). Finally I resorted to
>> automatic disk patritioning and everything went fine (although debian installer
>> complained about inability to install kernel!)
>
>   I had done automatic disk partitioning, but I had chosen LVM that
>might prove a problem. It wasn't, since I had make sure that / and /boot
>are plain ext3 partitions. I muse that had to resolve to the measure to
>use only one ext3 partition (/) so that yaboot is able to find it's
>config file.
>
>   Is that the solution I had sought or is there still an error in my
>thoughts?
I used plain ext3, single partition (no separate /boot), but I have chosen to
install kernel and yaboot manually from debian installer menu (I think I even
did it twice).

>> Alex
>
>TIA
>
>	Torsten
>
>p.s.: Any one lucky to get the install image booting on a RS/6000 B50?
>       Mine balks with an unexpected firmware error. Strangely the beta
>       of OpenSuse Enterprise 10 for ppc does boot without a hitch.

Did you check you've got latest version of IBM firmware for your machine? I had
weird OF issues with my F50 and Linux just to find out that latest firmware for
this old monster has been released in 2006! After update things got better.
B50 should not be that different from F50, I presume..

Alex