Re: newworld g3 trying to get to 2.6.x; problems w/ udev

On 4/24/06, Seth Daniel <powerpc@sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:26:59PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> > do you absolutely require an initrd?
>
> Probably not.  However, will avoiding an initrd solve my udev problem?
> If not, then the question is moot until I figure out why udev is
> hanging on boot.

well, as I said, my opinion is uninformed.  what I remember (vaguely)
is that the udev messages are a late stage of initramfs before it does
the pivotroot & hands things over to the filesystem.  Sometimes
there's something missing in the initrd that confuses udev, even
though udev would work fine if it was operating under the auspices of
the full kernel.  So if that's the case, then your problem isn't with
udev per se... in any case an initrd'less kernel might help.

but I may be totally wrong.  bummer I replied off list earlier,
hopefully someone with some actual knowledge will reply to this msg.

Matt