Re: Gnome 2.12 doesn't show icons of removable media on desktop

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:05:57PM +0200, Matthias Grimm wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:56:20 -0500
> Mannequin* <mannequin@invigorated.org> wrote:
>
> > > It is an unlucky combination of udev+kernel+gnome-volume-manager. IIRC the
> > > bug was filed against udev (search bugs.debian.org) but it was easily
> > > solved with a newer udev version. Try pulling it from unstable, it should
> > > do the trick.
> >
> > You might have to pull in a newer kernel with a newer udev... Anyone in
> > the know, uh, know if there is that difference between the udev in
> > testing and unstable? I remember having to deal with that a while back,
> > but my memory is foggy now that it's been a while since updating my PPC
> > to Unstable.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Ditto.

And Thanks to you, Matthias, too, for asking:

I had a similar problem not on Gnome (that I essentially have not
installed) but on KDE: Now, after upgrading to the latest udev/hal
packages from unstable everything seems fine again on KDE: For example
when I plug in a SCSI disk now via Firewire the disk appears as an
icon on the KDE desktop. Unmounted, as I need it, but mounting it on
KDE is nothing more than right-clicking the unmounted disk (icon) and
then choosing to mount it. Which was not possible, IIRC, before
upgrading hal/udev: no disk icons on the desktop at that time, so
without a chance to mount the device with a simple mouse click as an
underprivileged user.

[Note: I'm not sure whether it really was necessary to also upgrade
hal]

> A new kernel and the latest udev did the job:
>
> ii  udev                      0.089-1
> Linux version 2.6.16.2 (gcc version 4.0.3 (Debian 4.0.3-1))

I didn't even need to upgrade my 2.6.14.1 kernel to fix this issue
... :) ... the joy of KDE? ... ;)

The new udev/hal versions:
ii  udev                              0.089-1

ii  hal                               0.5.7-1
  [ ... more hal add-ons ... ]

Thanks again to everyone contributing.
Best Regards

Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on