Re: G4-cube console switching problem

On Apr 13, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:17:04PM -0400, Rich Johnson wrote:
How do I switch text-consoles with an Apple Pro Keyboard.  Neither
cmd-ctl-F(n) nor opt-ctl-F(n) do anything.
I can switch _from_ the gdm using cmd-ctl-F(n)...but I can't get
back!  What am I missing?

Did you try Alt-F<x>? Also known as Opt-F<x>.

I tried--it didn't work. None of the combos I could think of switch the console.

But your hint did send me looking at output from showkey and dumpkeys.

I think the problem is that the dead, left alt/option key would scan as 'alt' and switch to console_2; but the working, right alt/option key scans as ''altgr'' and fails switching to the non-existant console_14.

I _think_ what I want to do here is remap the working right alt/ option key to ''alt'' and abandon 'altgr' altogether. Does that sound reasonable?

Is the preferred method to unzip/modify/rezip the keymap in /etc/ console or would it be a post-boot script?