Re: Re: installing debian on IBM 43P-150 (CHRP)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 06:11:29PM -0400, Keith Grimm wrote:
> Hello
> I have read you web page on the 43p-150 and the bc Cd for chrp. I have 2
> 7248-26 carolina's and a 7043-26 PReP boxes. Any chance you have spun a
> bootable/installable debian cd that works on prep machines?

The only current way to boot on prep, is to use the netbooting capability, and
powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd from the daily or etch beta2
debian-installer images (www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer). I have seen
it work on my motorola powerstack II, and also on a 43P-140 IBM box. I knoz
some prep boxes have some kernel trouble, so YMMV.

Please report bugs against debian-installer or linux-2.6 in case of failure.

Ah, and partman-prep is hosed, so you may need to create the prep partition by
hand and dd it to your prep partition yourself. It is best to use yaird over
initramfs-tools in this case.

Please share your experience here, and we will help you as best we can.

Friendly,

Sven Luther