Re: d-i daily build fails when building initrd (PowerMac7,3)

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:35:53PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > FWIW, I've got a bunch of old Macs here (including Nubus), and one RS/6000
> > > B50 that can be used for testing CD booting if necessary.
> >
> > That would be interesting, since the B50 is exactly what those corean guys
> > have all this trouble dealing with.
>
> Odd. We installed from a floppy using the woody netinstall CDs by just
> following the instructions found at
> http://www.kutilek.de/technik/debian-rs6k.en.php

You reqlise that sarge was released almost a year ago now, and that
debian-installer has almost nothing to do with the woody boot-floppies, right
? :)

There is no floppy support on either sarge or etch debian-installer for
powerpc prep or chrp boxes right now, only the unofficial powermac oldworld
miboot floppies.

> and I don't recall anything difficult(*). The only OF capable graphics
> card I have is an IMSTT card which refused to work in the B50 so we did it all
> using serial console.
>
> I should be able to provide a system.map of the booting kernel so people
> can figure out what's missing in the stock kernels.

The problem was not the kernel, but it seems that yaboot-installer or
prep-installer, or plain dd was not able to create a booting system.

Solution is to fix partman-prep, and see if yaboot-installer behaves then, or
to see if the excessive ramdisk size created by initramfs-tools caused the
compressed kernel + builtin initrd to cause trouble with the OFs installer.

Or maybe simply that the addnote thingy is broken or something ? I don't
really know.

I am able to make the prep machines bootable with simply dding the kernel with
builtin ramdisk the prep partition

Friendly,

Sven Luther