mounting

first i'm sorry if this has been asked but i just joined the list.

I'm running the latest stable build of debian on a ppc G4 and am unable
to write to any hfs+ drives.  Altough I was able to and then it just
stopped although mtab tells me it is mounted for rw i get the message
that the drive is mounted read only when trying to write to it.

I have looked all over the net and have seen mostly old messages about
this being a problem in the past.  but nothing pointing to it being an
issue now.

I also tried hpmount and it tells me it is not a mac drive.  This may be
because it is not my main volume or because i turned journaling off.
I"m not sure.

Any help would rock

Caleb