Re: Wanted: Debian Installer PowerPC porter(s)

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:50:04AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 03:00:19AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> >   - various old-world issues, including the work to free miboot, and inclusion
> >     of the free miboot version into the official archive. Mmm, i hope Colin
> >     Watson doesn't forget to add miboot support to his daily builds, or
> >     oldworld support will have been definitively killed.
>
> What do I need to do?

Install the miboot package from http://people.debian.org/~luther/miboot on the
buildd.

> (If at all possible, I'd prefer to produce a separate build for oldworld
> until such time as miboot is free, rather than having non-free material
> in the main daily build used on Debian CDs.)

bah, if you want, i actually always thought that having the miboot builds in
non-free would be best, bu t this idea was coldly received (at the sarge time
though). We need to build non-free installer images anyway, for the non-free
modules/firmware scenario anyway, so this would be a good test to make this
possible later. In this case we can upload miboot to non-free, and see if it
can pass, the only problem is that we don't really have the distribution
right for the apple boot block, but i kind of doubt apple will ever be
bothered to give it. That said, since apple provides tools to create bootable
floppies including this boot block, we only need to see the licence of those
tools. I fear though that back in those times, the idea of providing a licence
for a mere bootblock was kind of not so present, and i believe our usages
clearly falls in the fair-use scenario.

Friendly,

Sven Luther