Re: sound on quad powermac/latest powerbooks/imacs

You might want to load soundcore first.  Or install the modules and do a depmod -a and then modprobe instead of insmod.  I had the same problem.  Sadly, up until 2.6.15 loading up soundcore hangs my imac so I haven't been able to go past that ...

Its snd-powermac that hangs your imac, not soundcore I think

You're right!  Thanks to your comment I was able to test the new snd-aoa drivers.