Re: Connecting 2 Powerbooks via Firewire 400

Hi Vinai

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 06:27:07PM -0600, vinai wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> >How do I connect an AluPowerbook (PowerBook5,8 - Kernel 2.15.1) and a
> >TiBook (PowerBook3,5 - Kernel 2.6.14.1) via Firewire? I tried
> >connecting both via FW, the rebooting them ... nothing that helped so
> >far ..
> >
> >Pointers to docs are also welcome.
> >
> >The purpose is to move files from one machine to the other.
> >
> >And yes, I know how I can do this via NFS ... :)
> >
> >Thanks in anticipation
>
> If you boot the "source powerbook" while holding down the "t" key, I
> think that powerbook should come up in "firewire disk mode" - similar
> to the old "scsi disk mode" - where the Powerbook just looks like a
> hard drive to the device connected to the other end of the firewire,
> or scsi, cable respectively ...  After that, you should be able to
> mount the drive on the "destination" PC/laptop just like any other
> device or volume.

Works like a charm: For those trying the same, here's a picture of the
moment when the Powerbook whose disk I wanted to mount on the 2nd
Powerbook was in Firewire target disk mode (I hope the latter term
is correct):
http://wolfgangpfeiffer.com/fw.jpg

FYI: The machine on that picture hasn't any Apple OS installed.

The yellow Firewire icon one can see on the pic is wandering about the
screen as long the machine is in that mode ...

More, if this helps:

Thanks a lot, Vinai .. :)

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on