Re: Sarge installer for Mac Performa 6400/180 with 16MB RAM?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 04:23:07PM +0100, Simon Vallet wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 15:28:54 +0100
> Hans Ekbrand <hans@sociologi.cjb.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:09:18PM +0100, Simon Vallet wrote:

> > > I agree on the BootX overhead, however be aware that the 6400 will nost
> > > likely *not* boot from OF with 'screen' as output-device -- you'll need
> > > to use a third party video adapter or a serial console
> >
> > That would only be necessary if something goes wrong, normally you
> > don't need to interact with quik. And if something does go wrong, you
> > can boot with the boot floppies again and rescue the system.
>
> While that is technically correct, I think you're on this list long
> enough to know that in the vast majority of cases, quik doesn't "just
> work" -- did it for your 5400 ?

No, it didn't. I had to try and fail quite a few times to get it to
boot, (finding out the correct value of the boot-device variable in OF
and in /etc/quik.conf was difficult),[1] and did mess with a serial
cable. However, with support from the list, future users might succeed
at the first try.

> I think future quik users need to know that it is not always the
> "best"/easiest/quickest solution, even if that's the one I personally
> adopted.

No, not the easiest, since it is a bit error-prone, but the best once
you get it running.

[1] Here is what I have to issue (as root) for quik to boot:

# nvsetenv boot-device ata/ATA-Disk@0:0
# nvsetenv boot-command "begin ['] boot catch 1000 ms cr again"

And here is my /etc/quik.conf

timeout = 20
default = linux
device = ata/ATA-Disk@0
partition = 5
root = /dev/hda5
image = /vmlinux
        initrd = /initrd.img
        append = "ramdisk_size=8192"
        label = linux

Notice the difference between the "device" parameter in quik.conf =
"ata/ATA-Disk@0" and in OF = "ata/ATA-Disk@0:0".

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. Why is top posting bad?