Boot Mac 5500/225 in Linux

I don't know much about linux or mac but I want to install a linux operating system to a old mac. The system is a mac 5500/225 with a 2GB HDD and all downloading will be done on a windows xp computer. The mac does not boot, it will just put a floppy on the screen. I have a CD burner and no floppy drive but once in a while I can use one on a computer that has a cd-rom drive and a floppy drive with windows xp. I need to to use minimum floppies and if at all possible none (doubt) or one floppy. So my question is , what operating system should I use for it and how can do the install?