Re: Installing java plugin in Mozilla?

Hi, Terry and others.

On Mar 18 2006, Terry Shannon wrote:
> I did learn alot today.

Well, that's nice to know.

> How to create a deb package from another archive.  The file is in the
> IBM jre 1.5 archive, so I may give that a try, although the
> java-package 0.24 doesn't list it as supported.  Guess I could update
> to 0.27, been there today and done that.

So, you actually created ibm-j2re1.5, right? If not, at least file a
bugreport (see the package reportbug) with severity wishlist against
java-package to tell them what your problem is.

> So, if I install my ibm-j2re1.4 package I created, then after I
> install Opera I should have a browser that supports java applets?

I don't know anything about how Opera works with Java, but I'd guess
that if the IBM jre 1.5 has the proper plugin, why exactly couldn't you
use, say, Firefox?  Different ABI's?

> I need a browser that will work with most commercial sites in the US.
> They seems to be IE specific and are picky about others.

If you actually end up installing Opera, be sure to change its default
identification from IE to Opera, so that the commercial sites you are
using actually know that their customers happen to exercise their right
to choose.

And keeping an eye on the Free Java implementations isn't a bad thing
also. They're evolving quite fast lately.

Regards, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/