Re: Power saving techniques

On Sat, Mar 18, 2006 at 04:40:50PM +0100, T. M. wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> 	I have a PowerBook 12-inch, 1.5Ghz (System Profiler says it's a
> PowerBook 6,8).
> I'd like to be able to save energy as much as I can while on the
> road; I'd like to know:
>
> 1) Does my PowerBook support cpu scaling? How do I enable it? Can I
> even make it run at 500Mhz or so?
> how to configure it and understand if it's actually working.
>
> 2) I would really like to be able to suspend my computer.
> I know that I can't suspend to ram because Nvidia (I have Nvidia
> Geforce 5200go) doesn't release drivers for PPC. (at least that's
> what I've been told)
> I'd love to be able to suspend to disk... can my PowerBook do that?
> Does it need a particular kernel?
>
> 3) How do I make my hard disk sleep?
>
> 4) Well, if you know anything else I can do to save energy...
> (By the way fblevel is working so I can scale brightness)

I use pbbuttonsd, with an iBook G3 (powerbook 4,2). I don't know whether
it manages to cpuscale, but indeed stops the hdd and it dims the screen.

I know it did dim the screen, now I don't know because I had broken wire
on the logic board that prevented the screen to switch on. I bypassed the
circuit and now I can see only at full or zero brightness.
If you are interested or have backlight problem see http://tinyurl.com/l7jzn .

Edo