What is needed to compile a new Kernel

I Guess I`ve not included something I need to boot this PB5,7 with a vanilla
kernel 2.6.15 and .16 kernels
I get this VFS cant mount root file system. It also tells me to give the right
root filesystem at boot, as if it matters.
Here and so far I can see that somethings is wrong without twisting an
eyebrow, however; next line complaining that it cant mount UDF-fs.
Why would it mount that?
and
What is needed to get this kernel booted?

I had an Idea of attatch the .config file but then again. 1300 lines!