Re: Trouble getting mac mini builtin modem to work

> Linux venus 2.6.15.6 #1 PREEMPT Tue Mar 7 21:37:17 CET 2006 ppc GNU/Linux
>
> ttyS0 at MMIO 0x80013020 (irq = 22) is a Z85c30 ESCC - Serial port
> ttyS1 at MMIO 0x80013000 (irq = 23) is a Z85c30 ESCC - Serial port
>

> The devices appear nicely (thanks, udev :) in /dev:
>
> crw-rw----  1 root dialout 4, 64 2006-03-09 08:06 /dev/ttyS0
> crw-rw----  1 root dialout 4, 65 2006-03-09 08:00 /dev/ttyS1
>
> And now the tricky part... I've tried minicom on both serial ports, and
> with the whole bunch of baud rates, but no luck. No response at all from
> the ports. Which makes me think that, perhaps, the built-in modem is not

That's because nothing is actually connected to these ports. They're just
leftover crud in one of the Apple ASICs, dating back to the logic
design of oldworld or early newworld days.

With your Mac, the modem is perhaps connected to an I2S bus. Check what
kernel extensions are loaded when MacOS X is running. Something like SM56
should show up there. That kernel extension needs reverse engineering,
badly.

	Michael