Re: Xserve hd device names

Hmm. I only need the Firewire Disk driver on the iBook in 32bit mode, and that worked yesterday. On the Xserve the Openfirmware will do everthing and it won't need it.
But as I said, once the install is completed, I want to be sure I provided the right device name for the root partition for the Xserve to boot.

What I did yesterdday was:

Boot PowerPC into of target disk.
Boot iBook with etch installer cd (about 2 weeks old).
Do the normal install on the recognized Firewire hard disk until it wants to do the yaboot setup.
Interrupt there and go to a cosole, changeroot to the target and setup apt (and while doing so fstab and networking too, but that will only be needed after reboot of the new system).
Install the 64bit kernel via apt.
leave changeroot.
Do an mkmfboot with the boot option set to the target disk partition2 (in my case /dev/sda2) and the ofboot option set to hd:2. I need to do this outside the chroot, or the proper devices wont be visible, but I have to do this with the mkofboot already installed in the target system, since the boot disk strangely has none. But ok, that worked fine too.
then restart the PowerPC. Kernel started fine. It just had been told the wrong device names for the "/" and "/boot" partitions, so it couldnt find initrd and the root device to be mounted. As I said, I knew I had to use different names from the devices I had available via target disk on the installer system(there hd was available as /dev/sdc, the partition numbers are the same of course). I used /dev/hda as the device name first. But that was wrong. For some strange reason the PowerPC knew his SATA disk only as /dev/sda. Which I figured out by the kernel boot messages. But as I said, I won't be able to see them on the Xserve, so I want to know in advance what the rigt device names are.

Many thanks again for the answer. And of course I don't want to prevent you from looking into device driver problems ;)

Jan Schukat