Re: netboot64 question - WAS:: powerpc64 install from external firewire cd failed - can't load sbp2

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 08:12:58AM -0500, Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr] wrote:
> Sven-
>
> I went ahead and tried to continue with the neboot64 image, but it appears
> that this will not work on the Xserve.  It only configures one interface
> (eth0) and it thinks the interface is firewire apparently.
>
> When I do an lsmod, no network driver has been loaded for the gigE ports:
>
>    ~ # lsmod
>    Module                  Size  Used by
>    scsi_mod              207256  0
>    eth1394                34064  0
>    ohci1394               55800  0
>    ieee1394              428496  2 eth1394,ohci1394
>    ehci_hcd               54104  0
>    ohci_hcd               37052  0
>    usbcore               197140  3 ehci_hcd,ohci_hcd
>
> lspci lists them as broadcom netXtreme:
>
>    ~ # lspci | grep Eth
>    0001:07:04.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit
>    Ethernet (rev 03)
>    0001:07:04.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704 Gigabit
>    Ethernet (rev 03)
>
> But on another system (non Xserve) where I have the same controllers, they use
> the 'tg3' driver.  However, I don't see any tigon driver in the modules
> listing:

Normal, tg3 contains non-free firmware, and was thus removed from main,
Bastian Blank worked on building such a module in non-free, and using this is
part of the goals for etch beta3, and will be discussed during the d-i meeting
tomorrow.

Friendly,

Sven Luther