Battery Problems / Re: off topic - Apple service sucks

got money, time and patience to burn,. Best to DIY.

Apologies to all on list if this is turning into a bit
of a Hardware quiz session, but if anyone can help
with this problem it will help me a great deal and
perhaps edify some other troubled ppcers out there :

So, the riddle goes like this :

My Powerbook G3 Pismo/Firewire/Bronze keyboard model
which is dual boot Sarge and OSX does not switch on
anymore or does so only temporarily.

For some time I have been running it without a battery
as the battery only held a charge for 3-4 mins (since
I installed the debian side, before it was more like
20mins). It began to crash/switch itself off with no
warning so after reading around I put the battery back
just to help it boot. This helped for a few days -
however, now everytime I move the machine -home to
work etc it does not boot up again - usually I take it
part, pull the top slot memory, the hard drive, the
pram, replace it all, and sometimes in varying
combinations this works - it boots, everything is
dandy it runs tfor a few days - I try not to switch it
off - then when I do, it doesn't boot up again.

It has currently been off for two days and I've tried
al my usual tricks with no result! The closest I get
is a phut sound from the audio as I press the button,
but it does not revive...

What do I do? I love my pismo, I know its on its last
legs after six problem free years, but I want it
running again.

Anthony