Re: sudden power loss on tibook

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 10:36 +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > So far, I've not been able to get a clear picture from the reports. ISTR
> > > one user reported that problems went away after using pmud/mouseemu
> > > instead of pbbuttonsd, that's why I suggest testing the above
> > > configurations.
> >
> > TiBook IV here, running pmud, no pbbuttonsd, no mouseemu.
> >
> > I got the sudden shutdowns (not with older kernels though) until I
> > stopped using cpudyn, so at least in my case, they seemed to be related
> > to cpufreq.
>
> Does powernowd show the same problems?

No idea, never used it.

> That's what I use since quite some time, with no lockups ever.

My assumption is that the sudden shutdowns are triggered by some kind of
race condition when switching CPU speed. If powernowd switches less
often than cpudyn, it may indeed be significantly less likely to
trigger. Of course, cpudyn could be configured to switch less often to
verify that theory.