Re: Debian on an Old World G3 'wallstreet'

Hi Anthony,

I don't use the Wallstreet any more, so I can't tell you if I used the ramdisk option or not in BootX. You probably need it if your kernel uses modules that are in initrd (the "initial" ramdisk, which I think this option refers to, see [1] below for more information). If the option refers to initrd, I don't see why it should exhaust your memory, as I would guess that initrd is mounted read-only.

I've cced this message to the ppc-debian list in case anybody has more information on this.

Kind regards

Francois

[1] http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-initrd.html

anthony iles wrote:
Thanks for this Francois,

I've now got a good system working with Xfce as the window manager - one thing that confuses me is that I have to have 'use ramdisk' checked on the bootx panel when I boot other wise I get kernel panic messages. Do I have to use the ramdisk - is this why the mem gets full very quickly?

There were big problems with the HD when this machine was running os 9 which is why it (luckily) ended up being liberated with free software, coiuld this be related to the kernel panic messages?

Thanks for your help, the resource page is wicked

Anthony

*/Francois Taiani <f.taiani@computer.org>/* wrote:

    Hi Anthony,

    I installed Sarge on a Wallstreet some while ago. I've put a list of
    the
    on-line resources I used, with some additional information here:

    http://ftaiani.ouvaton.org/5-ressources/index.html

    In particular, if I remember correctly, Christophe Barbe's howto for
    the
    TiBook III worked quite well for the Wallstreet.

    Hope this helps!

    Francois

    anthony iles wrote:
     > I'm trying to install debian on an oldworld mac : Powerbook G3
    series
     > 'WallStreet' using the following howto as a guide :
     > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation/OldWorldMacs
     >
     > After getting past a problem with the cd drive I managed most of the
     > install.
     >
     > However, when I get to the stage of mounting the HFS partition and
     > copying over the linux kernel I'm stuck, I type Option f2 to get
    another
     > console and I just get a blank black screen with no prompt.
     >
     > Has anybody had the same problem? Anyone with a workaround or a
    link to
     > a Sarge on an old world mac howto?
     >

     > Thanks
     > Anthony