Small OS9 partition. BootX with relevant files (ie root.img and vmlinux)
2nd large partiton, I allowed partion guider to set it up for me.

At the partioner make a note of which partition macos uses. Something like

Ignore messages regards quik at end of d-i set-up, ctrl-alt-f2 to CLI

This thread I found useful but incomplete, you need to chroot not cd to the
directory:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2004/10/msg00628.html
I found that there was no module available straight from the installer to
mount the os9 partition. From the above post and others I then

# chroot target
Then
# mount -t hfs /dev/sda6 mnt

With the mac partition mounted, copy the files as per
http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/08/msg00291.html

Exit the CLI, switch to installer (ctrl-alt-f1) and finish without
bootloader.

Once in OS9 copy use the initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc as your RAM disk and
select the vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc. No arguments.

Then, BOOT IN LINUX........

Installation report to follow

____________other links I found useful_____________
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/09/msg01709.html