Re: Debian install on biege G3

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:09:31PM +0000, David Pead wrote:
> [...]

[...]

> When I use
> ls dev
> there's no refernece to the sda6 partition at all.  The list reads:
>
> adb         fb       kmem        misc        pts         scsi        urandom
> cdroms    full      kmsg         null        random   shm       vc
> console    ide      log            port        rd           tts         vvc
> discs       input   mem         ptmx       root         tty        zero
>
> In my attempts to mount the disk I managed to mess things up. Therefore, I
> reformated with 3 partitions, one of which I formatted as MSDOS FAT32 (which
> MacOS sould see) hoping to use that as an 'exchange partition' (as per 3.6.1
> MacOS/OSX Partitioning of the manual
> http://www.us.debian.org/releases/sarge/powerpc/ch03s05.html.en#id2517119) I
> can't find that one either.
>
> Looking in 'disks' or 'scsi' I find paths to various 'part1, part2, etc' of
> the disk but have no success in mounting one. Maybe  I'm not doing that
> right? What command do I enter?

Don't know exactly (only have IDE devices myself), something like:

mount /dev/discs/disc0/part6 /mnt

> >> Tried this but can't seem to mount the MacOS partition. It should be under
> >> /dev/sda6 but I get "wrong device number or fs type hfsplus not supported"
> >> I saw a mention of a patch for said fs, is that what I need?
> >
> > OK. this hfsplus thing seems problematic. Is possible to load a module
> > that support hfsplus within the installer? There is a step in the
> > installer that loads additional components (the partitioner amongst
> > other things). Could you try and continue the installation until those
> > modules are loaded (I mean to point 6.3.2 in the installation manual.)
> >
> > and then try to mount the partition again?
>
> Sorry friend, how do I check if the modules are loaded. If not, how can I
> load them? Do I have to use something like ctrl,alt F3,4,5 or 6?

# lsmod

lists the loaded modules

# modprobe hfsplus

or

# modprobe vfat

might load the needed modules.>

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?