Re: BootX, beige G3 and kernel 2.6

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 07:36:30PM +0100, Frédéric Massot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After having tried without success to boot with Quik, I test with BootX
> (ver. 1.2.2). Linux boot already with BootX and the kernel (2.2.20-pmac)
> of the Woody installer (linux.bin and ramdisk.image.gz).
>
> I compiled a kernel 2.6.14 with the command make-kpkg and I have to copy
> the files vmlinux-2.6.14 and initrd.img-2.6.14 in the folder "Linux
> Kernels" in the system folder, I selected these files in BootX and boot
> to Linux. The screen became black and Linux did not boot. :o(
>
> What is necessary for compiled a kernel 2.6 for BootX ?

I didn't know of anything special. I have sucessfully used BootX to
boot quite a few kernels on my old Performa 5400 with only 24 MB RAM.
Are you sure it's not your kernel the problem?

Could you try with some known good kernel, like the official one in
sarge (2.6.8), or the one currently in sid (2.14)?

I won't send my patches to the installation manual before we can
figure out whats wrong here.

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. What is that strange attachment in this mail?