Re: Debian install on biege G3

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:55:21PM +0000, David Pead wrote:
> > No, as Simon pointed out, there is known, unsolved problems with quik
> > and (some of?) the beige G3:s. Focus on BootX for now.
>
> OK, will do
>
> > So restart the installation, press ctrl-alt-F2 and <enter> to get a
> > shell.
>
> Have got the shell
>
> > Mount the MacOS-partition where BootX resides.
>
> Sorry, need a 'how to'... Found reference here
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/11/msg00165.html
> ...and from looking elsewhere seems I need to chroot to target?

No. Just an ordinary mount.

> Tried this but can't seem to mount the MacOS partition. It should be under
> /dev/sda6 but I get "wrong device number or fs type hfsplus not supported"
> I saw a mention of a patch for said fs, is that what I need?

OK. this hfsplus thing seems problematic. Is possible to load a module
that support hfsplus within the installer? There is a step in the
installer that loads additional components (the partitioner amongst
other things). Could you try and continue the installation until those
modules are loaded (I mean to point 6.3.2 in the installation manual.)

and then try to mount the partition again?

> > copy /boot/vmlinux (or possibly vmlinux.gz) and /boot/initrd.img to the
> > folder were BootX looks for kernels (might be something like "System
> > Folder/Linux kernels/")
> >
> > Then umount the MacOS-partition and reboot into MacOS and start BootX.
> >
> > There is a checkbox for the initrd or "ramdisk", named something like
> > "use specified file for ramdisk..." chose initrd.img
> >
> > Assure yourself that vmlinux (or vmlinux.gz, don't remember) and
> > initrd.img are the new ones and not the ones that will start the
> > installation.
> >
> > the root device should be /dev/ram, but I think that's all.
>
>  if I can just get these files I think I'm almost there?!

Yes!

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <hans@sociologi.cjb.net>
Q. Why is top posting bad?