Re: [ANN] Broadcom Wireless Chipsets reverse engineered

On 12/7/05, Antonio-Miguel Corbi Bellot <acorbi@dlsi.ua.es> wrote:
> El mié, 07-12-2005 a las 12:36 +0100, Michael Schmitz escribió:
> > >
> > > Softmac gave compilation errors that I managed to solve, but don't know
> > > if this made the code not to work properly...
> >
> > I don't recall compile errors in softmac - there's a bunch of warnings
> > about unavailable symbols but the resulting modules load OK.
>
> Yes, last update from the mercurial repository corrected the
> compile-time errors in softmac.
>
> > > I can ifup eth1 with a static ip-address, but can't reach the router:
> >
> > Yep, that's about as far as I get. iwconfig does report 'no wireles
> > extensions' on the device.
>
> Mine identifies eth1 as wireless-capable (sorry, don't know how to
> express this) as I can assign essid, channel, I can see the MAC of my
> access-point, etc...
>
> > On firmware load (after ifconfig eth1 up) I get a warning about a possible
> > driver bug in bcm43xx_phy_setupg() (line 333 bcm43xx_phy.c) but the code
> > seems to carry on successfully in that case. Do you see something like
> > that as well?
>
> Yes, same thing here.
>
> > I've not tried the earlier versions. Both bcm43xx and softmac are in some
> > sort of SCM so backing out recent changes might be easy to do. When did
> > you download the working sources?
>
> I managed to send a message to the list using bcm43xx on monday, that
> was  my first and last success try :)
>
> So to sum up, I can load bcm43xx, it identifies eth1 as a wireless
> device, I can assign it my essid/channel and a static ip-address, but
> can't reach my router anymore (no ping, http, ssh, telnet, etc... I
> always get a 'no route to host').

You should use "iwlist scan" after "up the eth1" and do many try.
Sometimes I must make several try to obtain connection.

My config
iface eth1 inet static
  address 192.168.0.102
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  network 192.168.0.0
  broadcast 192.168.0.255
  gateway 192.168.0.1

  # this is for using package resolvconf
  dns-domain xxxxx
  dns-search xxxxx
  dns-nameservers 192.168.0.1

  wireless-essid xxxxx

  pre-up modprobe ieee80211softmac
  pre-up modprobe bcm43xx

  # can't connect without a scan
  post-up iwlist scan

  # ifdown eth1 freeze the machine if don't unload the module
  pre-down modprobe -r bcm43xx

Bin