Re: sudden power loss (WAS: sudden power loss on tibook)

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:54:51PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-27 at 20:52 -0600, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>
> At this point, I would really need you guys to do some dichotomy to try
> to isolate more precisely what kernel change introduced the problem.
> That is if you confirm it's between 2.6.11 and 2.6.12, then test the
> various -rcX and possible git/bk snapshots in between those 2 kernels or
> do a git bisect. Will take a while, but that's all I can find for now.

I have started to get the power problems after i switched to 2.6.14. Since i
purchased a zd1211 wireless card, I started from the "oh dear, the driver for
this card is totally fscked" but then i remembered this thread and decided to
try 2.6.12.

So far, I have been using debian kernels, and have had not a single problem
with 2.6.12 in a very long time, so i have a strong believe it has been
introduced with the 2.6.12 -> 2.6.14, but that is not saying much, I believe.

So far it has started happening mostly when I do very intensive tasks, like
(mostly) transfering files, at 2.2Mps, so that is why i thought it was related
to the zd1211 driver, but tonight it also happened when transfering files to
my mp3 player, although i got an Oops, not a shutdown, which of course I dod
not copy :(

I will try 2.6.12 with the zd1211 and see if it still happens.

Cheers,

--
Jesus Climent                                      info:www.pumuki.org
Unix SysAdm|Linux User #66350|Debian Developer|2.6.14|Helsinki Finland

We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.
		--C-3PO (Star Wars)