Re: etch graphical installer does not work on G5 PowerMac?

    Sven> On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 06:54:47PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad
    Sven> wrote:
    >>  I tried booting the graphical installer (the file mini.iso
    >> dowloaded from
    >> http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-miniiso/alpha/powerpc/)

    Sven> Could you try the latest daily-builds from :

    Sven>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/gtkdi/images

    Sven> as i am not sure what Frans did put in the above images, but

Well, the link to Frans' installer I found via the debian installer
page (alpha release of graphical installer). So I guess it is what
most other newbies are finding.

    Sven> the current daily builds have the 2.6.14-3 kernel. I believe
    Sven> the images you tried may have 2.6.12 still, and thus didn't
    Sven> solve your problem, not sure. Your box has Nvidia graphics,
    Sven> right ? Where i you, i would take that card out and put a
    Sven> nice Radeon inside, would solve you worlds of trouble.

Yes, it is an Nvidia GeForce card, unfortunately that is what Apple
sells with these machines. I'll swap it when I can but for now I'm
stuck with it.

So, I tried the daily build. It boots fine, but the installer (more
likely the fb itself) does not do anything useful with the nvidia
card. It just flashes (white) the screen (black background) every few
seconds. I can switch to a vt and use the shell, but the screen
continues the flash at the same rate.

Any advice on how I can be helpful?

Thanks,
Shyamal