Re: AmigaOne 2.6.x Linux kernel port

You're right. Mounting a cooler on the CPU of the AmigaOne isn't an easy
task and I don't think that northbridge heatsinks (as most users have
mounted) are good enough to cool a G4 CPU @800MHz-1GHz.

>   But then, I've never understood many of the details.  My only comment
> on your patches is that you make some allowance for highmem - my
> impression was that the memory mapping probably did NOT easily support
> highmem (I get confused between physical and virtual addresses, but the
> defaults in arch-ppc seemed to conflict with where the A1 had its i/o),
> and therefore I'm puzzled if you have tested this option ?
No, I didn't test highmem support. It was just in the patches, because I
directly copied the code from the dma-mapping.c file.

>   I think you understand a lot more about this than I ever did, and you
> are obviously in contact with somebody on the os4 side who is likely to
> understand the hardware, or at least have whatever docs there are.  My
> "expertise" was primarily in reading the 2.5 patches to see what had
> changed, and in testing workarounds.
Unfortunately not. :-( Some OS4 developers gave me hints about how DMA has
to be implemented on the AmigaOne and what issues the hardware has, but no
docs or code. Also AmigaOS4 is very different to Linux. After all, the
AmigaOne Linux port is still at the same state as it was when the Frieden
brothers stopped working on it some years ago. (except for your changes).
:-)

>   You mean people do still use floppies ?  I remember somebody with a
> pegasos posted a patch a few months ago on ppc-dev, but I don't remember
> the outcome.
Well, I still use floppies from time to time (2 or 3 times a year). ;-) But
porting this patch to 2.6.x was the easiest job, so I startd with this. :-)

Gerhard