Re: MythTV PPC

> > Well, persecution for what reason? Is there non-free or patented code
> > included? That's what they usually get serious about.
>
> They sue teenager girls because their parents bought software like the kaza
> stuff or whatever it was, so ...

And this is relevant for MythTV exactly how?

Besides, I seriously doubt people were sued for _buying_ kazaa. For using
it to offer copyrighted material for download, maybe. Now who'd want to do
this with MythTV? And how exactly would MythTV be the first solution to
rip TV shows to disk for easy distribution? Seems I could do that easily
with off-the-shelf consumer electronics and ffmpeg ... but involvement of
ffmpeg can't be the problem here. After all it's in main, meaning it can't
be patent encumbered, right? Seems a bit silly to me.

Was this ever brought up on -legal?

> > > Do the ubuntu packages build on powerpc ?
> >
> > Or so someone claimed on the list. I wouldn't know.
>
> I have seen it run, but it was on gentoo using some highly patched stuff, not
> really reproducible, the packages from MAtt zimmerman failed to build out of
> the box.

That sounds to be a bit harder than initially claimed. Someone needs to
know diff and patch a bit.

> > > None, as you only need to convince the alioth admins and not the ftp-masters.
> >
> > Let's first see someone build the Ubuntu packages for ppc. In case I
> > wasn't clear enough - this is a job that can and should be done by any
> > user interested in having MythTV for powerpc and capable of running
> > apt-get source and dpkg-buildpackage on it.
>
> I clearly fit this description, but then you need to add someone with time to
> deal with it :)

So do I, but finding someone with skills and time among the users was the
crucial piece here.

> > If that doesn't work, there's no point in bothering the alioth admins.
>
> I disagree, a alioth project means a svn repo, which means people can
> cooperatively work together on this, instead of a part of the work smoldering
> on my offline harddisk for example.

People working cooperatively together means you need those people in the
first place. Otherwise, patches sitting in google cache are just as
useful ('people' meaning three to five, ideally, in my book, if this
code is any like kino in endianness terms).

Let's see a show of hands, shall we?

	Michael