Re: Powerbook6,8 issues

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 15:38 -0600, Juan Pablo Mendoza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently started working in a new company and they assigned me a brand
> new Powerbook 12" (PowerBook6,8) 1.5GHz with a (f*cking) nvidia NV34M
> GeForce FX Go5200.
>
> I installed debian unstable and have some problems with it:
>
> Random lines flickering in the screen when i use the keyboard in Xorg
> (tried the default Xorg from sid and the experimental 6.9 packages) it's
> really anoying and I'm afraid they are damaging the panel in someway.

It's probably not damaging the panel... Do you use an fbdev driver like
rivafb ? Does it work better if you don't (use offb, that is
video=ofonly on the kernel command line) ? Also make sure your X.org is
configured to use the "nv" driver.

> Funny thing Xorg works perfectly fine in Ubuntu, probably a patch they
> included, I will try to track that down later today.
>
> dmasound doesn't work, just the snd-powermac alsa driver and that gives
> a very ugly sound output :-(.

What do you mean by "very ugly" ? snd-powermac generally works better
than dmasound.

> Airport doesn't work (surprise!) but i hope the free driver will be
> working soon!.

Yah, hopefully.

> The most annoying thing for me: The laptop doesn't suspend at all, I
> still have my old ibook g3 with a radeon m7 and the sleep support is a
> feature I'm very attached too. I'm a experienced C developer (no kernel
> experience however) and would like to try to work on this, but I need
> some pointers (Ben? :-), as I understad the problem with the sleep
> support is the rivafb module not supporting the resume operation. Is
> there any documentation on the chip ? refence code ? ways to reverse
> enginer the os x driver behavior? (tools and methods). I would really,
> really, really love to have this working.

The problem is that there are no specs whatsoever from nvidia, nothing
at all, and the MacOS X driver afaik isn't an "ndrv" (thus can't be
"spied" using my old ndrver tool)

Ben.