Re: Can't Install on new PowerBooks - NO IDE

Has anyone tried to install debian on the new PowerBooks yet?
I tried and the kernel didn't detect any IDE controller, so I
couldn't get the installer going past the select CDROM prompt.

I tried loading ide-cd , ide-generic and all other ide modules
but no success.

Parag

Mostly good news on the new PowerBook front -

I was able to boot the machine, and here is what worked and what didn't

Works
--------
a) IDE controller was detected - Disk drive was detected as hda and CD drive as hdb - UDMA5 and UDMA4 enabled respectively. b) Display worked fine - without having to pass ofonly option I got nice native resolution c) SunGEM Ethernet adaptor worked fine - I was able to connect to the internet.

Problems
a) ochi1394 - Don't know if it's a real problem but I got an error in dmesg - Unexpected PCI resource length 1000 b) fdisk /dev/hda was not able to see any partitions on the device at all - I would think it should have shown me the MAC OS HFS+ partition? c) This being an experimental CD - I got some harmless, this not found, that not found type messages - that's fine I think.

I can post the dmesg and any other output if required. Let me know.

Thanks

Parag