Re: installing G3/266 beige: which vmlinux ??

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 09:35:14AM +0100, Marc Coevoet wrote:

> Op 4-nov-05 om 23:30 heeft Sven Luther het volgende geschreven:
> >
> >I guess this is an apple oldworld machine, booted using bootx.
> >
> >Please boot the vmlinux and initrd.gz from here :
> >
> >  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/
> >

> I did.

And ? What did happen ?

> Now that I know it needs to boot from
> /dev/sda2

No, you just boot the above, it is the installer, and has its own root in a
ramdisk.

> it has probs with finding the disc ...
> Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS3 or so ...

What exactly are you trying to do ?

> I'm used to YDLinux, and there the install kernel is
> different from the one used afterwards...

Again, too little information for me to really help, but the kernel is the
same, but the initrd ramdisk is not.

So, are you installing a new machine, trying to take-over a messed up install,
trying to use a debian kernel on a YDL root, trying to upgrade your kernel ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther