Re: installing G3/266 beige: which vmlinux ??

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:20:08PM +0100, Marc Coevoet wrote:

> after rebooting, the install kernel doesn't see the scsi. /dev/sda2 ...
>
> taking another kernel, I can see the scsi, but the network is
> not working ...
>
> Which kernel is the good one, on the minimal cdrom ???
> I use BootX, and the 2.4 kernel says:
>
> networking OK,
> later bringing up eth0  no success ... ???

I guess this is an apple oldworld machine, booted using bootx.

Please boot the vmlinux and initrd.gz from here :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/netboot/

Which should work just fine, and file an installation report from :

  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

Alternatively, you can also use the upcoming etch/beta1, which should
hopefully be about next week or so, and boot the vmlinux+initrd.gz from the
install/powerpc dir.

In any case, forget the 2.4 kernels, we are in 2005, and they are quite
outdated.

Friendly,

Sven Luther