Re: Migrating Debian from iMac G4 to iMac G5

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 09:17:33AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Also, notice that it is my experience that linux/powerpc sbp2 (the firewire
> > disk) mode is rather flakey on 2.6 kernels, when i tried that to backup my
> > powerbook, i failed miserably.
>
> Cannot confirm this - on 2.6.8 and 2.6.11 (old BenH BK trees), sbp2 and fw
> is rock solid. The only trick is to plug in the disk _after_ Linux has
> booted.

Ah, ... i never did that i plugged it in from startup (and was running the
ubuntu live cd even). it is a 1Ghz tibook (last tibook generation i believe).

I also have similar problem on the pegasos though, but then it uses a VIA
firewire chip, so things may be different.

The problem don't happens when merely usign the disk, not when creating full
DVD isos from data on the firewire disk to the local disk, but only when
creating a DVD iso from data on the firewire disk and putting the result on
the firewire disk. The other case i had was when trying a full backup of the
60GB of data of the linux partition of my powerbook in order to make a new
install.

I was using an external firewire/usb case with a standard IDE disk in it, so
maybe this also influences ti somehow.

Friendly,

Sven Luther