Re: Gnome vs. KDE with ALSA

hi mike
i use gnome on debian sarge witha g4 titanium powerbook (1ghz processor) and just installed alsa: alsa base and alsa mixer. i can now use alsa with pd (a sound application) but i cannot seem to use alsa with anything else (cd players, etc). furthermore, with an initial install of sarge (before installing alsa) i had no sound at all. i could not figure out how to get this working. i've also installed jack. i can start the jack server, but when i try to use other applications, such as ardour, i get the message that jack is already being used by another application.
has anyone else encountered these problems and found a solution?
thanks very much.
best regards
jason kahn

This is an opinion question, I am wondering who on this list uses Gnome and who uses KDE, I like the simplistic look of gnome, which is why I switched to gnome, but however one thing that is really important to me is sound.

Googling it, I have found very little literature on that subject, and the only output I have been able to produce sound with is esd. ALSA and OSS sinks both give me 'unable to construct test pipe' and artsd runs the test with no audio, sound in mol is broken now, with a report of "OSS sound device unavailable (will be used anyway)
OSS sound driver"

So I do not know whether MOL cannot use OSS, and/or whether esd just takes total control of /dev/dsp, which I have read a little bit about.

This is making me want to switch back to KDE, but I must ask, is ALSA possible in gnome?