Re: [Debian-ppc64-devel] Re: G5 owners, please test ... Re: ppc64 pseries 2.6.11-2 .deb kernel available.

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 12:33:10PM -0700, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
>     "Sven" == Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>
>     Sven> On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 04:15:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>     >> Hello all,
>     >>
>     >> Thanks to the great job of Jeff Bailey and Matthias Klose, who
>     >> provided a set of gcc-3.4/glibc-2.3.5 based biarch toolchain, i
>     >> have managed to build a first ppc64 kernel package, which is
>     >> available at :
>     >>
>     >> http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64
>
>     Sven> So, none of you G5 powermac owners is willing to test this
>     Sven> 64bit kernel, after all the time folk have been requesting
>     Sven> it ?
>
>     Sven> I have had only two reports so far, one successful on a :
>
>     Sven>   pSeries 630, model 7028-6E4
>
> I missed your original email, but then I was never one who missed the
> 64 bit kernel either ;-)
>
> It works. But it is missing the fan control patches from the sarge
> debian kernel, so my fans are going full blast.

Cool. Sorry about the fan control, but now that we have something working,
you are welcome to provide patches. I think i saw something from benh
about fan control on 64bit kernel in debian-powerpc, need to investigate.

I was more interested in getting the infrastructure ready and kernel built,
than in fine tuning the kernel for now, but now that it more or less works
we can go into fine-tuning.

BTW, I have prepared : http://people.debian.org/~luther/ppc64/PPC64.README
which also includes instructions for testing an embrionic d-i attempt. The
d-i ppc64 images will now be built daily, together with the sarge and sid
d-i dailies, but it is still a bit crude and naturally fully untested, so
comments welcome.

> shyamal@turtle:~$ uname -r
> 2.6.11-pseries
> shyamal@turtle:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported
> clock           : 2000.000000MHz
> revision        : 3.0
>
> processor       : 1
> cpu             : PPC970FX, altivec supported
> clock           : 2000.000000MHz
> revision        : 3.0
>
> timebase        : 33333333
> machine         : PowerMac7,3
> motherboard     : PowerMac7,3 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
> detected as     : 336 (PowerMac G5)
> pmac flags      : 00000000
> pmac-generation : NewWorld
> shyamal@turtle:~$